seminarista
Welcome to Seminarista.heavenforum.org!

Please feel free to register / log in to see the forum's entirety.

God bless and keep the faith!

Registration difficulties? email - joelsioson @ yahoo (dot) com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

seminarista
Welcome to Seminarista.heavenforum.org!

Please feel free to register / log in to see the forum's entirety.

God bless and keep the faith!

Registration difficulties? email - joelsioson @ yahoo (dot) com

seminarista
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

nietzsche, augustine, merici quotes

seminarista :: What's New ::   ::   :: Academic

Go down

nietzsche, augustine, merici quotes Empty nietzsche, augustine, merici quotes

For every man there exists a bait which he cannot resist swallowing.
- Friedrich Nietzsche

What you are must always displease you, if you would attain to that which you are not.
- Saint Augustine

Beware of trying to accomplish anything by force.
- Angela Merici
psalm37
psalm37
Forum Angel
Forum Angel

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

nietzsche, augustine, merici quotes :: Comments

Tovarisch

Post Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:57 am by Tovarisch

Every concept arises from the equation of unequal things.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
("Über Wahrheit und Lüge im außermoralischen Sinn" -1873)

Back to top Go down

pipsilverio

Post Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:21 pm by pipsilverio

The only freedom which deserves the name is that of pursuing our own
good, in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of
theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. -John Stuart Mill

Back to top Go down

sesamemucho

Post Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:26 pm by sesamemucho

bat wala na ako maalala? memory gap na yata ako..hehe

Back to top Go down

colsec

Post Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:30 pm by colsec

"... My heart is restless until it rests in thee.." (tama ba tovarish?)

- Augustine of Hippo

Back to top Go down

Tovarisch

Post Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:47 pm by Tovarisch

colsec wrote:"... My heart is restless until it rests in thee.." (tama ba tovarish?)

- Augustine of Hippo

Correctamundo, Chowie.
Here's the full quote:

Nos fecisti ad te et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te.
(You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our hearts are restless until they rest in you.)
--Confessiones I, 1

(Sinipag magresearch.) salute

Back to top Go down

psalm37

Post Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:21 pm by psalm37

nietzsche in my mind...kahit sinabi nyang God is dead, hindi pa rin nya ako mapaniwala. actually kasi, ung idea nya ng isang "uberman" ay concepto niya ng God.

Back to top Go down

Tovarisch

Post Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:52 am by Tovarisch

psalm37 wrote:nietzsche in my mind...kahit sinabi nyang God is dead, hindi pa rin nya ako mapaniwala. actually kasi, ung idea nya ng isang "uberman" ay concepto niya ng God.

From what I've understood during my Philo days, it's the concept that human beings are no longer able to believe in any such cosmic order since they themselves no longer recognize it, na ang dating sa akin, Nietzsche is challenging us to establish a system of values in the absence of a divine order, na kung tutuusin mo, may sense talaga kasi nga kahit anong form of religion during those times, meron at meron pa rin naman yung tinatawag nating "paper believer" lang o naniniwala lang sa faith nila "on paper" lang (much akin to the Non Practicing Catholics).

Yang Ubermensch naman na yan, sobrang misinterpreted na kasi they all use the 1903 Thomas Common translation "Superman" as opposed to capturing the nuance of the term, which Walter Kaufman prefers: Overman.
Sa pagkakaintindi ko, Ubermensch is Nietzsche's way of saying na in the absence of a divine order dictating our system of values, we should then aspire to this kind of model...which is I think not impossible but improbable to achieve.

Hehehe, but for a clearer understanding and explanation, I think si Walfisch ang may authority sa batch namin kay Nietzsche...and Heidegger. Di ko talaga naabsorb masyado si Nietzsche and his nihilism. tongue

Back to top Go down

Walfisch

Post Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:42 pm by Walfisch

Tovarisch wrote:
psalm37 wrote:nietzsche in my mind...kahit sinabi nyang God is dead, hindi pa rin nya ako mapaniwala. actually kasi, ung idea nya ng isang "uberman" ay concepto niya ng God.

From what I've understood during my Philo days, it's the concept that human beings are no longer able to believe in any such cosmic order since they themselves no longer recognize it, na ang dating sa akin, Nietzsche is challenging us to establish a system of values in the absence of a divine order, na kung tutuusin mo, may sense talaga kasi nga kahit anong form of religion during those times, meron at meron pa rin naman yung tinatawag nating "paper believer" lang o naniniwala lang sa faith nila "on paper" lang (much akin to the Non Practicing Catholics).

Yang Ubermensch naman na yan, sobrang misinterpreted na kasi they all use the 1903 Thomas Common translation "Superman" as opposed to capturing the nuance of the term, which Walter Kaufman prefers: Overman.
Sa pagkakaintindi ko, Ubermensch is Nietzsche's way of saying na in the absence of a divine order dictating our system of values, we should then aspire to this kind of model...which is I think not impossible but improbable to achieve.

Hehehe, but for a clearer understanding and explanation, I think si Walfisch ang may authority sa batch namin kay Nietzsche...and Heidegger. Di ko talaga naabsorb masyado si Nietzsche and his nihilism. tongue

Nakupo, si Nietzsche!! shock

Well tama yung sinabi mo tsong. Yung Death of God ni Nietzsche is actually a call to re-establish new concepts, and it's not just on morality. Ang pagkaka-intindi ko naman dati dito, "God is Dead, and We have killed Him" actually refers to the Death of the Transcendental Values of Metaphysics (tama ba ito!?! confused ), namely the One, True, Good and Beautiful. Sa critique ni Nietzsche kasi, napansin niya yung prevalence of the Herd Mentality, na katulad nga ng sabi mo tsong, yung basta sumusunod lang yung madla on what the majority views as moraly sound. Syempre eto yung challenge ni Nietzsche. Can a blind man guide another?

Sinasabi lang ng mga wannabes na ibig sabihin ni Nietzsche dito is the death of a religious entity, which I call BS and skewered. Misinterpreted lang si Nietzsche kasi; besides the fact that he is a known Atheist, very messed-up pa yung pagkakakilala ng karamihan sa kanya.

Ngayon, dahil sa destruction of the pre-set values, syempre magkakaroon ng anarchy. Dito pumapasok yung Ubermensch niya, who is actually the Overman who surpasses the prevalent common beings around him, who embraces both Apollo and Bacchus, a Man who has both Passion and Control. Siya yung linchpin na mag-establish ng new order. And, sabi ni Nietzsche, sino daw magandang example nito? Sino pa kung di si Jesus Christ. shock Mind you, sinabi niya ito kahit atheist siya; nakita ni Nietzsche kasi na ine-exhibit ni Kristo yung mga values na visible sa isang Ubermensch.

Kaya nga dun sa isang lecture ni Heidegger about Nietzsche, parang sinasabi niya na hindi naman talaga totally Nihilistic si Nietzsche. Hanapin niyo yung "The Word of Nietzsche: God is Dead" by Martin Heidegger, good reading yun, highly recommended.

Sensya na medyo simplistic ito, kasi off the top of my head, eto lang naalala ko. Matagal na akong hindi nagbabasa about Western Philosophy. Kung may corrections man kayo, please point it out. study

Back to top Go down

Tovarisch

Post Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:54 pm by Tovarisch

Ayos! Hehehe. Naaalala ko tuloy yung lecture dyan (was it Dr. Yanga or Prof. Roy?) Basta ung breakdown ng so-called "gods" of human society. Tingin ko naman kasi yang nihilism na yan is more of a state of mind rather than a school of thought.

Anyway, naaalala ko rin yung Jesus Christ model na yan, and the thing that really separates Him from those who aspire to be Ubermensches is altruism. Yung ang naaalala ko sa mga notes ko noon.

Back to top Go down

colsec

Post Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:00 pm by colsec

Tovarisch wrote:Ayos! Hehehe. Naaalala ko tuloy yung lecture dyan (was it Dr. Yanga or Prof. Roy?) Basta ung breakdown ng so-called "gods" of human society. Tingin ko naman kasi yang nihilism na yan is more of a state of mind rather than a school of thought.

Anyway, naaalala ko rin yung Jesus Christ model na yan, and the thing that really separates Him from those who aspire to be Ubermensches is altruism. Yung ang naaalala ko sa mga notes ko noon.

As far as I can recall, what Nietzsche meant by "God is Dead" is not the literal meaning that God is really dead... What he meant was human beings have lost their sense of morality... nagkaron ng "moral decay" kumbaga sa lipunan... not far from what the Philippines is going through nowadays... Imagine, we are now ranked as the most corrupt nation in Asia...

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down