seminarista
Welcome to Seminarista.heavenforum.org!

Please feel free to register / log in to see the forum's entirety.

God bless and keep the faith!

Registration difficulties? email - joelsioson @ yahoo (dot) com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

seminarista
Welcome to Seminarista.heavenforum.org!

Please feel free to register / log in to see the forum's entirety.

God bless and keep the faith!

Registration difficulties? email - joelsioson @ yahoo (dot) com

seminarista
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Estrada: Nobody can stop me from seeking re-election in 2010

3 posters

Go down

Estrada: Nobody can stop me from seeking re-election in 2010 Empty Estrada: Nobody can stop me from seeking re-election in 2010

Post by Tovarisch Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:35 am

Estrada: Nobody can stop me from seeking re-election in 2010
By Christina Mendez
(The Philippine Star) Updated August 28, 2009 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - Former President Joseph Estrada is determined to seek reelection in 2010 despite warnings that he may end up being disqualified.

Estrada shrugged off the opinions of Senators Miriam Defensor-Santiago and Aquilino Pimentel Jr. who both pointed out that he might be disqualified since he was elected president in 1998.

Former senator Jovito Salonga, a constitutional authority, also advised Estrada against seeking reelection, pointing out the intent of the 1987 Constitution against former presidents seeking another term of office.

Salonga also said Estrada is not qualified to run, citing the conviction of plunder by the Sandiganbayan last year.

Estrada shrugged aside insinuations that he cannot run again for the same political office.
“Nobody can stop me (from running) unless they (courts) say I’m disqualified,” Estrada told the weekly news forum at the Senate.

His spokesperson, Margaux Salcedo, also issued a statement slamming Salonga for issuing the opinion against the former president.

“It is acknowledged by everyone that President Estrada was given an absolute pardon by President Arroyo. That pardon restored Erap’s civil and political rights, including to vote and be voted upon,” Salcedo said.

Salcedo said Salonga, being an elder of the Liberal Party, is expected to be partisan.
“Because the Liberal Party is bent on running one of its members for president,” she said, apparently referring to LP president Sen. Manuel Roxas II.

Estrada, on the other hand, said he has already prepared his legal argument in case the issue is brought up before the Supreme Court.
“I’m prepared for that. I have consulted legal luminaries like former justices of the Supreme Court and present and past deans of law schools,” he said.

Estrada said he had consulted Dean Pacifico Agabin of the University of the Philippines, Dean Amado Valdez of University of the East, former dean of San Sebastian and now Rep. Rufus Rodriguez and former solicitor general Estelito Mendoza.

Estrada claimed all of them had the same opinion that he can still run.
“These are (the) people whose knowledge about law can’t be questioned,” he said.
Salcedo added the constitutional ban does not apply to Estrada.

“The constitutional ban against a president’s reelection applies to an incumbent president to prevent him or her from using the office of the president to ensure reelection through fraud or other illegal and unethical means,” Salcedo said.
Estrada repeatedly declared that he is “99.99 percent” sure of running in the 2010 presidential elections since the opposition could not come up with a single candidate.

Determined to seek the presidency again, Estrada said he is leaving his fate and destiny to the people.
“I will not run if I believe that I will be disqualified. Imagine, (the) time, effort. I believe eventually it would be the people’s decision,” he said.

“The presidency should be given to the people to decide. I believe in destiny, as (the) presidency is a destiny. As the saving goes, vox populi, vox dei – the voice of the people is the voice of God,” Estrada remarked.

Despite being found guilty of plunder by the Sandiganbayan last year, Estrada, a former actor, remains popular particularly among the urban poor.
President Arroyo pardoned him after he signaled that he was not interested in politics anymore. Hopefuls in the opposition, however, have started to seek his endorsement for the upcoming 2010 elections.

But Estrada urged the opposition to unite and warned that he might decide to run again if they fail to come up with a single standard-bearer.

Estrada reiterated at the Kapihan sa Senado yesterday that “when I’m decided I will fight it to the last, especially if it concerns the welfare of the people of our country.”
Estrada said among his concerns is the failure of the opposition to come up with a single candidate.

“Now, I could see that it’s already impossible (for) the opposition to present a single candidate for president because everyday it’s adding. Now I think, the count is about 18 candidates, supposedly the opposition candidates. So it’s already impossible for the opposition to have only one candidate,” Estrada said.
Estrada foresees a repeat of the 2004 elections wherein the administration had the opportunity to pounce on the opposition, which had fielded three candidates – the late actor Fernando Poe Jr., Sen. Panfilo Lacson and the late former senator Raul Roco.

“We learned the lesson from the elections of 2004, the presidential elections, if only we the opposition presented only one candidate, it could have been very hard for them to cheat FPJ (Poe),” he said.

Estrada pointed out the administration took the numerical advantage over the opposition because of the divided votes.
“Senator Lacson got over three million votes, senator Roco got almost about two million votes so that’s five million additional. It could have been for FPJ,” he said.
“So it’s hard for them to cheat just like what happened in 1998 when I ran for the presidency, my margin was six million (votes) over my nearest rival. So it’s hard for them to cheat even if they tried to. That’s what I think we have to learn from that lesson of 2004 elections,” he said.

Estrada said he would still talk with “true members” of the opposition, including Sen. Francis Escudero, in the next few weeks to determine how they can unite the opposition and come up with a single presidential candidate.
“I might be talk to him by next week. I talked already with Senator Mar Roxas. I cannot say, even for Senator Roxas, they’re all presidential candidates. If I ask them to be my running mate, that might insult them,” Estrada said.

Apart from Roxas and Escudero, Estrada said he would try to talk with Senator Manny Villar, Loren Legarda and Makati Mayor Jejomar Binay who have separately signified their intention to join the presidential race.
Estrada said Sen. Jamby Madrigal was not included in his list although he says he respects the lady senator’s decision to join the presidential derby.

Estrada said he is glad that all possible candidates of the opposition have also been going around in the effort “to feel the pulse of the people.” – With Jose Rodel Clapano
Tovarisch
Tovarisch
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Estrada: Nobody can stop me from seeking re-election in 2010 Empty Re: Estrada: Nobody can stop me from seeking re-election in 2010

Post by Tovarisch Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:36 am

Naman o...
Tovarisch
Tovarisch
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Estrada: Nobody can stop me from seeking re-election in 2010 Empty Re: Estrada: Nobody can stop me from seeking re-election in 2010

Post by sesamemucho Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:51 am

di ba landslide yung pagkapanalo nya dati? ...

sino ba mag-aabroad dyan? sama nyo na ako! loud cry
sesamemucho
sesamemucho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tovarisch Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:24 am

Mukhang marami pa kasi siyang kayang goyoin.
Naalala ko tuloy noong Edsa Dos...nagpunta tayo noon after ng class picture natin...Memorable talaga.
Tovarisch
Tovarisch
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by sesamemucho Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:01 am

Tovarisch wrote:Mukhang marami pa kasi siyang kayang goyoin.
Naalala ko tuloy noong Edsa Dos...nagpunta tayo noon after ng class picture natin...Memorable talaga.

dalas natin mawalan ng klase nun tas ang saya ng atmosphere sa EDSA that time, siguro kasi we know that we'll be a part of another RP milestone - ousting a president who gambles until the wee hours of the morning, advocates jueteng and jai-a-lai as means to alleviate poverty and has led the citizenry to believe that he is pro-poor wherein in fact, he has lived in luxury all his life...

yun nga lang, nagoyo din tayo ng mga pumalit
sesamemucho
sesamemucho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by colsec Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:45 am

dalas natin mawalan ng klase nun tas ang saya ng atmosphere sa EDSA that time, siguro kasi we know that we'll be a part of another RP milestone - ousting a president who gambles until the wee hours of the morning, advocates jueteng and jai-a-lai as means to alleviate poverty and has led the citizenry to believe that he is pro-poor wherein in fact, he has lived in luxury all his life...

yun nga lang, nagoyo din tayo ng mga pumalit..

oo nga eh... ano ba namang matino ang ginawa ni erap? sabi ng eh aside from his cabinet eh may "midnight cabinet" pa siya and sometimes, he signs executive orders while dead drunk.. ang kailangan kasi natin ay isang TUNAY NA LIDER na may malinaw na ADGENDA para sa ating bayan, may TAKOT sa DIYOS at tunay na NAKIKIPAGLABAN para sa DIYOS at BAYAN...
colsec
colsec
Forum Virtue
Forum Virtue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum